Thursday, August 13, 2026

Joseph D Milosch

A Dark Sky Over the White-Capped Pacific

For Robinson Jeffers

 

I parked my car at an overlook

along the Oregon coast. In the sky,

puffins and cormorants dipped and darted.

 

Further out to sea, a curtain of rain

spread across the white-capped waves

and closer to shore, seagulls circled.

 

The wind kept knocking the top off waves,

and I saw the sea struggling while birds

flew behind a rocky island.

 

I slept deeply that night, and beyond

my room, clouds hid the stars, and

the ocean called with wind whispers.

 

Rain on the roof became the pulse

of sorrow entering my sleep and

calling itself a name. In my dream,

 

and a man hid his face as he walked

through the shadows of coastal palms.

Then, an elevator door opened invitingly,

 

and I stepped into charcoal depths, feeling

something behind me. It was taller than

my shadow. The night passed.

 

as I dreamt about the ocean sliding

over sand while a vision foretold

that on the same day, I will die

and be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rebeca Thomas

Car As a child, I found a bunkbed On the road between LA and Phx It was on the rear shelf Of a 1975 datsun b210 A little blanket softened th...