The Lesser of Two Evils
of the United States
or so he claimed, stood
in the middle of the street
on Main Street and Third
Street, directing traffic.
He wore no shoes, but
he had a couple of jackets
on, looking rather bulky,
and he had a toy store
cop badge. He kept avoiding
the cars that would surely
kill him or send him to
the hospital. If he ran against
the actual president, I would
vote for him in the lesser of
two evils sort of choice.
in. I take a lot of
small breaks. I have
been gleaming over words
that I wish I had written.
In the backyard birds
sing like I wish I could
too. The whole day
I do not go out
because I am reading
in. My eyes become
weary. The car sits
idle in the driveway.
The sun peaks in from
outside. The garbage
is in here. I have not
written a thing.
I have been reading
in. I have made no effort
to go out. I feel free.
I do what I want to do.
you are not alone. I won’t lie
to you and that is the truth.
It is quite alright to feel that way.
It is not like anyone has the cure.
If it makes you feel better, I have
found things to do to pass the time.
The most powerful man in the world
will not save you from oblivion.
I have never bought into his lies.
Protect yourself by tuning out
his face on your tv screen. It is
easy. You can leave the house to
buy food. Life as we know it is not
the same. This is not the time to
empty out the toilet paper aisle.
Take a breath. Take two breaths.
Feel the softness of your pillow
and take a good nap. The time will
go by fast. Have a cold drink and
smell the roses or the food you
prepare. Keep long distances from
others. Don’t lose your car keys in
case you want to take a drive. The
oblivion that is coming may or may
not come to you. I am pulling for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment