Thursday, August 13, 2026

Antoinette Vella Payne

Can I Get a Ride? 

 

Climb in my dear 

Invited my car

Side seat warmed and ready

Windows rolled down 

 

Heated words exchanged

Passenger door flips open 

As we cruise the curb 

Heavy metal hinge springs wide  

 

I almost fall out 

Warm breeze lifts my skirt 

Fingers scrape the road 

Hold on tight with knuckles white

 

Feels like perpetual motion 

Pulling back with all my might

Happy hour rush hour 

Get out of my way

 

Chrysler’s green hornet 

Picking up speed on the freeway

Others made in foreign lands 

Two door Mazda - Four door Honda

 

Hatchback coined as three

Seat belts and child locks have no say 

In this Cadillac country 

Sunroof opens to the wild

 

Wind rumbling past rain drops

Sloshed against the ground

Making it hard to see through the

Judgements I inflict

 

Limping along on tired tires

Blaming myself for all that l think I am

Wired in the diagnostics of my mind

Running on empty I stop on a dime

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rebeca Thomas

Car As a child, I found a bunkbed On the road between LA and Phx It was on the rear shelf Of a 1975 datsun b210 A little blanket softened th...